Do you have a telescope that you would like to learn how to operate or get help with setting up? Our staff members will be on hand at the start of each session to give you a one on one tutorial. Learn how to properly assemble and balance your telescope, align the finderscope and computer, collimate the mirrors, and choose the appropriate eyepieces. We can even help you learn how to find objects in the sky with your own telescope!
Since these events are weather dependent, on occasions we may need to postpone the event at short notice. If this happens, you will receive a txt message in your mobile, one hour prior to the event, and your booking will transferred to the next available session.
These sessions are for smaller groups; up to five people and one telescope per person. The Telescope Labs start earlier than the general observation sessions. We can help you set up and use your telescope before it gets too dark. Consult the schedule for start times.
- Basic principles of telescopes
- Learn how to setup your EQ mount
- Learn how to setup your AZ mount
- Learn how to collimate your telescope (mirror alignment)
- Telescope clinic (fix and tune your telescope) - Additional fees may apply
- Under 5 yrs: free
- Child (5-15 yrs): $50 + fees
- General admission: $100 + fees
LocationTelescope Labs are taking place from Maraetai Beach, Maraetai, at just 40 minutes from the Auckland CBD. This beautiful location offers an stunning views of the night sky and low light pollution coming from the city. This is key to allow long-term expositions to capture amazing pictures of the deep sky objects like nebulae and galaxies.
There are four public parking (free) available (+40 cars capacity) and public toilets close to the observation area.
Finding the observation area can be tricky if you are not familiar with Maraetai. Please, come a bit earlier and consider following the google maps directions: https://goo.gl/maps/5y6qxTrDYKQ2
Upcoming Telescope Lab Sessions
Code of ConductIn order to insure safety, protect equipment and to enhance everyone enjoyment, we ask that you follow the Code of Conduct:
- Pets are not permitted nearby the telescopes.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are never permitted within the area.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.
- Aerosol bug spray repellent may only be applied away from the telescopes. (Sprays produce a fine mist which can settle on optical surfaces and is very difficult to clean.)
- Remove any trash and keep the premises clean.
- Visitors should bring a flashlight with RED light to use for the walk from the parking lot to the observation area and for reading star maps.